Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Interesting facts that I learned last night about Cambridge


Kings College
Originally uploaded by Elfleda.

I went on a guided history walk last night about the history of Cambridge, from the Roman times to the present. It was excellent, I learn things so much better if someone tells me and I can put it into context than if I try to learn it from a book - darn dyslexia.

Any way I found out a few key dates, which are:

There is evidence of settlements around Cambridge pre Roman times, first major development occured in Roman times circa AD 40

Also settled by Saxons, Normans and Vikings, the latter arrived circa 875 AD

1201 - Cambridge was given its Charter
1209 - Students fled violence in Oxford to Cambridge and formed a University
1284 - First College founded - Peterhouse
1446-1515 - Kings College Chapel built
1845 - Railway arrives in Cambridge
1951 - Cambridge granted City status

I am doing another one of the walks on Thursday night which is looking at the buildings around the centre of town, it is entitled "The Good the Bad and the Ugly" so it should be entertaining.

Any way for those that don't know the picture is of Kings College Chapel which buiding was completed in 1515

No comments: