Tuesday, June 27, 2006

IN GERR LAND


IN GERR LAND
Originally uploaded by Elfleda.

St George Cross flags are everywhere at the moment, which still seems a little odd to me as it was not something you ever saw. If there was a flag to be flown when I was young (oh God how old do I sound there??) it was always the Union Flag, no matter if the event was something that affected the whole of the UK, like the jubulie or if it was England playing somewhere.

In the last couple of years though the England flag seems to take priority over the Union Flag. It seems odd to me as I can remember when the St George Cross flag was always associated with racist fuckwits ranting on about how England was for the white and foreigners should go home. Then when they had finished would drag there knuckles to the nearest curry house and not see the irony.

There was an interesting piece in the Guardian today which is worth a read, though I would have to disagree with the statement that " being "English" is frequently a synonym for being white native-born English" I would like to think ( and maybe I am being hopelessly optamistic) that this is not the case.

No comments: